Friday, July 3, 2009

Three Hits and a Miss

The Hits:




Herb Butter--This is so easy to do and now that I have an abundant amount of herbs in the garden I finally tried it for myself. I made one batch with a mix of oregano, lemon thyme and parsley; one with just rosemary and one with sweet basil and lemon basil.



Southern-style Greens with Bacon--Being raised in the South it's a given that at some point you're going to eat greens cooked with bacon. Sometimes these can be tender and delicious but sometimes the results are just a soggy, bitter, tasteless mess. This recipe is definitely in the tender and delicious category. I used turnip greens which I got at the farmer's market earlier in the week (so glad to have it back again!) and left just a little bit of the stems on for added texture and crunch, plus I'm told that's where all the vitamins are. They were very fragrant and sweet when I cut them. I cooked mine for about 45 minutes, a little longer than the recipe time, since I wanted to make sure they were as tender as possible. I'm hoping to find some mustard greens to try next time. I loved the results with the turnip greens and Steven was brave enough to try them, although he didn't rave about them as much as me. :-)





Rosemary Peasant Bread--Finally, a recipe that was created for those at high altitude! (Low altitude instructions are given at the end of the recipe.) This was by far my proudest moment in the kitchen. I conquered my fear of making bread with this incredibly easy recipe and got spectacular results! The inside is fluffy and the outside is chewy--mmm, mmm, good. This will be wonderful with my herb butters; I also love dipping into a mix of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and minced garlic. This bread is a new staple in the Colorado Hammons household! (I'm not going to lie to you, last night Steven and I ate most of one loaf.) I'm going to try different herbs and maybe even just plain with no herbs. Today I toasted a piece and then topped it with goat cheese, sliced roasted red peppers, basil and a little fresh cracked black pepper. Divine.


The Miss:



Chocolate Cinnamon Bread--This sounded so promising and the batter tasted fabulous, but the end result didn't look so great. The bread still tasted good, although less cinnamon-y than the batter. Maybe it's because I'm at high altitude? Try it for yourself and let me know how it turned out for you.

1 comment:

Christina Farley said...

I love seeing your creations. This is so cool! I want to make that bread. It sounds yummy. I haven't had the chance to make the bread, but when I do, I'll let you know.