Friday, July 3, 2009

Before and After

When I was younger I always wanted a house with a red door, so when we bought this house and put the screen door on I "painted" it red (applying red paint with a rag and then wiping it off to allow a little of the grain to show through). But tastes change over the years and the red door didn't really match the new paint job we got on the house a few years ago. So I finally got ambitious, took advantage of my current free time and decided to refinish it! Thank goodness for power sanders; I would have lost the motivation to finish this project very quickly if I'd had to sand it by hand. An orbital sander did most of the work and a little corner sander got the narrow areas. It didn't cost anything except time and labor because we have the tools and we had some stain and polyurethane left from a different project a long time ago. You can still see a little bit of red in some of the corners but I think the results are fabulous and it looks much better with the current colors of the house. What do you think?




1 comment:

Christina Farley said...

Gorgeous. The red was cute but the after look is impressive. I can't believe you did this by yourself!