Friday, July 31, 2009

A Lovely Breakfast



I found a wonderful recipe by Curtis Stone for Blueberry Compote and decided it would the perfect accompaniment to fresh peaches from the farmer's market and strawberries from the grocery store. The sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and mint from the Compote gave just enough sweetness to the other fruit, and the juice that resulted from the short cooking time was a beautiful, deep purple-blue. (The Compote is supposed to be put over the pancake recipe that it's part of, but I haven't tried the pancakes yet. They sound just as delicious!) I was thrilled with the result; I'm not sure Steven was as crazy about it as I was but he said he liked it. :-) I think this would also be excellent over ice cream, especially a really good vanilla or honey ice cream. Peach season is just starting in western Colorado and we plan on making a trip out there later this month to get a box or two. Then I'll really have to get creative to make sure and use them or put them up before they all go bad! Any recipes or preserving methods you would recommend?

2 comments:

kristine said...

Yum!! I wish every meal could be just as fresh.. i dislike my lazy days.

Christina Farley said...

This sounds like pure heaven. Sigh. I never did get around to making that chocolate bread. But I still have the recipe.