Monday, May 18, 2009

Raised Garden Bed


We've completed another yard project! I found this tutorial on The Pioneer Woman blog and got inspired to do something similar in our yard. Steven was a great husband and did all the cutting and assembly and the rest was up to me. He built in about an hour. I had to buy some fill dirt at our local landscaping supply place, then I added a little bit of peat moss and a little bit of compost from our bin, then mixed it all together with a shovel. Some Gorilla Hair mulch on top and I was ready for plants! So far we have onions (my first time trying them out; here's hoping it goes well), lemongrass, lemon basil, sweet basil, cilantro and Bee Balm. There's more space available so I just have to decide what else should go in. I really want to do Arugula and some lettuces, we'll just have to see if I can find any. Maybe some zucchini or squash of some kind. I'm going to add a couple more grasses or flowers in front of the planter and we're putting a brick walkway of sorts on either side so I can get to what's in the middle. The rest of the garden got some new tomato plants, parsley, lots of tall decorative grasses, dianthus (carnations/pinks) and columbine from our local Horticultural Art Society's annual plant sale. And we were able to get rid of some plants we didn't want via the wonderful Craigslist.




1 comment:

kristine said...

You know I want to do this!! I am so glad to see yours was so successful!! Way to go Steven.. and way to go pioneer women inspirations!!