Monday, May 18, 2009

Homemade Chicken Stock



My CrockPot/slow cooker didn't make it onto my list of Kitchen Essentials, but now that I've learned of this method for making my own chicken stock, it at least deserves an honorable mention. It's something you can do overnight if you don't have lots of time during the day. You can even use wilted carrots and celery, which I also learned you can store in the freezer (along with your chicken carcass) until you need them. I've made two batches so far, and each one has yielded about 8 cups. Several comments had suggested adding onion skins for a little deeper color and flavor; I've done that with both batches and it tastes great. I also added a teaspoon of salt, a few peppercorns and about 5 smashed cloves of garlic. So now I'm stocked up (no pun intended) in the freezer for the next time I need chicken broth or stock in a recipe. Too bad it's getting into summertime so I won't be making as much soup as I do in the winter. I froze it in two-cup portions in quart-size freezer bags. Whatever was left I froze in an ice cube tray for those times when you just need a little liquid to deglaze a pan or add some flavor.

2 comments:

kristine said...

It is good to see you do it.. then I know I should be able to do it too.. I use chicken stalk in a lot of recipes so kudos to the wealth of knowledge!

Christina Farley said...

Wow. I'm impressed. I've made chicken stock but not with all the extra yummy stuff.