Monday, May 25, 2009

A Rainy Day in May






The recent abundance of rain has done wonders for the garden. I've gone a little crazy taking all kinds of pictures so I had to share some here. A few days ago we went to Home Depot in the rain (have I mentioned the rain is always cold here, even in the summer?) and hit the jackpot, finally finding a rosemary plant--the most elusive herb so far this year--as well as some Lena Broom, a bush that I've been seeking for several years now for its beautiful red and yellow flowers against a brilliant green stem. I was so excited when Steven spotted them; we ended up getting three and I hope, hope, hope they all survive the winter. Steven also got the other side of the brick walkway done and some stepping stones in front of the raised bed. I've gotten some onions, arugula and mesclun added and everything is looking great!












5 comments:

kristine said...

It's beautiful!! I am already missing my more accommodating California weather.. even Germany made me feel more of a green thumb.. but alas I get to enjoy your fruits of your labors!! Its really beautiful!! I ended getting some drought tolerant plants for our backyard pots.. now I am sure not to kill them.. wish me luck!! And we need some of that rain.. we get the signs & smells of rain but then nothing comes.. I think I would love a visit to you!!

Christina Farley said...

These are simply gorgeous! I love them! You really capture the details like the water droplets and the places the sun hits them and the shadows.

Lafemmet said...

I love reading about your life in CO. I can hear your voice as I read. Your personality and the love and joys in your life are so obvious. Please keep us posted. Miss you,
TJ

Amanda Lamb said...

Hi there!!!
Just thought I'd mention that while it's usually a tad warmer down there, but all in all about the same, I had a bunch of the Lena Broom outside our apartment in Durango and they did great. Good luck...I think I'd like to have some of them myself...perhaps I'll head to the Depot this weekend. :) Hope you're well! I'm jealous of your time to post...my poor blog is terribly neglected these days!

MissMolly said...

Your Pictures are amazing!
You are a wonderful photographer!
Check out www.birdsandblooms.com
They have random photography contests throughout summer.
I like to photograph my blossoms too, but they never quite turn out so well.