Monday, February 2, 2009

Kreativ Blogger Award



My friend Christina was sweet enough to nominate me for a "Kreativ Blogger Award" (which I clearly don't deserve due to my recent lack of posting, but I am thankful just the same!) :-) I'm supposed to list 7 things I love and then nominate others for their own award. Here's my list:

1. My husband--He's handsome, kind, thoughtful, generous and regularly lets me try new recipes on him.

2. My dog, Roxy--she's the 3rd boxer I've owned and I can't think of a better (or cuter) breed of dog. She's still got a few puppy habits that I won't miss when she finally grows out of them, but I wouldn't trade her for anything!

3. My garden--Nothing beats picking fresh herbs from your own front yard (or back yard, or wherever you have your garden). It's so nice to look at a recipe and know that when I go to the grocery store I don't have to buy any herbs because I have them already! I'm hoping to add more tomatoes and some other edibles to the yard this year, too.

4. Cooking--You should see the pile of new recipes I have printed from various websites or copied from magazines and cookbooks. Plus the cookbooks I own that still have undiscovered treasures in them. It's so rewarding to follow a recipe, and maybe enhance or change it to suit your likes and dislikes, and have a terrific meal at the end of the process. I have to admit I am a messy cook, though, and I really hate to clean up. Steven is very good about doing the dishes and cleanup for me, after we enjoy the fruits of my labor. And one day we'll have a dishwasher, so even that work will be reduced!

5. Reading--The very first thing I did when I moved here was to get a library card. My mom always took us to the library when we were kids and I'm so grateful that she started us early with that habit. It's such a wonderful resource that many people overlook. We have several libraries in town with beautiful views of Pike's Peak, so sometimes after a hard day at work (which will happen again, I know it!) I'll go to the library and settle in one of the chairs by the huge windows and forget the world for a while. My Shelfari list (at left) shows a sampling of books I've read, and I'm always interested in getting suggestions!

6. Warm, Sunny Days--I so appreciate the lack of humidity and the moderate temperatures here in Colorado Springs. Winter still feels a little too long for me, but the Spring, Summer and Fall seasons more than make up for it. I can already see the days getting longer and it makes me so happy to think that Spring officially starts next month already!

7. Feeling Happy, Healthy & Confident--With my new free time I've started going to different exercise classes 5 times a week, in addition to taking Roxy on hikes at the dog park or in beautiful Palmer Park in the center of town. Even though I don't particularly like exercising I do love the results of consistent hard work and I want my body to last as long as possible, and hopefully age gracefully, too. There's still so much life to be lived and I want to be around to enjoy it for as long as I can!

And here are my nominees for their own "Kreativ Blogger Award":

Krissy Hammons, Laura Cummard, Amanda Lamb

3 comments:

kristine said...

Well THANK YOU! This is quite an honor.. love you Jen!

Christina Farley said...

Great list! That's cool that you like to cook. I didn't know that. I bet you have a great garden. Do you grow your own herbs for your cooking?

Jen and Steven said...

Krissy--you're welcome! I look forward to seeing your list.

Christina--yes, I grow my own herbs. Some are perennials that come back every year, but I do have to plant basil and rosemary every spring. I usually do at least 4 basil plants and 1 rosemary, in addition to the perennials (chives, parsley, thyme, oregano, tarragon). Even if I didn't have a garden in the yard I'd still have to make a container garden just for the reward of having your own herbs! There's hardly anything I like more than the smell of fresh basil.