Monday, September 29, 2008

Colorful Colorado

Yesterday Steven had a rare weekend day off and we went for a drive in the mountains to see the leaves changing. We went at just the right time; everything was beautiful! Sometimes we wouldn't see anything for a few miles and then we would turn a corner to find the most amazing display of color. Sadly, there has been a huge problem this past year with a particular (harmful) beetle that likes our ski area evergreens and there are many dead pine trees mixed in. We took an excessive amount of photos as usual, but I'm sharing the best with you. (I also got to get up close and personal with a new friend. :-) If you've ever watched South Park, you'll recognize him right away; and yes, it's the real South Park that the show is based on.) We even got to do a little 4WDing in the car, at a little lake that was so still you could hardly tell where the mountain stopped and the water began. Steven loved the off-roading, of course, and the Audi performed like a champ! Along the way we stopped at our favorite French restaurant (with actual French owners) in Breckenridge, where you pay $11.00 for a sandwich but it's beyond worth it.; they also have a lemon and sugar crepe which is fabulous and I get it for breakfast anytime I get the chance. While we were driving up the road some crazy mountain boarders went zooming by. Even though they had full-face helmets on, I still wouldn't feel safe trying it myself.







7 comments:

kristine said...

Beautiful colors!!!! What a great drive! And the sandwich looks very authentic! If only we had a French couple to open a place here. Then life could nearly be perfect! Love you guys! Thanks for sharing such a perfect weekend.

Swanson said...

Le sandwiche c'est parfait! Oh, if only I could eat anything from a lovely Boulangerie/Patisserie. I will continue to dream!

Swanson said...

I don't know if you should be kissing Mr. Hankey

Unknown said...

Jen, you have made me whine and pout. But if I cannot BE in the Rockies, at least I can swoon over your pictures (which are very professional, BTW). No spectacular anything to see in the desert southwest plain for fall (without a bit of a drive), however we sure do enjoy the delightful dry temps when they drop below 100! Oh, but at least I can say that I ate marvelous food actually IN France quite a few times! So glad you found an authentic restaurant. ~Jenny

Christina Farley said...

Wow! It's gorgeous. Can't believe it's already fall there. It's still pretty warm over here in Korea.

Thanks for sharing!

Chad and Laura said...

You photos are awesome! You do very well at taking pics. I love the fall and all the colors. Something about this time makes me feel warm and fuzzy:). I am dying to come out there this winter and enjoy some snowboarding. Hmmm maybe I can ask that from my dearest love for Christmas? Miss you guys

Best panini press said...

stainless steel grill press
panini recipes
4 slice sandwich maker
cuisinart sandwich grill review
Best rated panini press
Top rated panini press
Best sandwich maker removable plates