Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Lovely Garden


Summer is officially here and I thought I'd share some of my favorite photos of the garden. We've had some rain but most of the time I'm out watering every few days. I feel like we have a Xeriscape garden for the most part, but I still feel guilty sometimes using all of that water. It does allow me to have fresh herbs and beautiful plants and flowers, though, and it helps beautify the neighborhood, so I guess it's not such a bad thing. The first tiny green tomatoes have just appeared; I'm so excited for those! This brick planter is a project we did earlier this year; everything in it is green and flowering now. (The bricks we used are some that I found on Craigslist also; anybody noticing a pattern here?)
__________________________________________________


The columbine is Colorado's state flower and it grows wild everywhere up in the mountains. I love how many color varieties there are. Supposedly if you plant various colors in your garden, eventually they'll be cross-pollinated by the bees and new unique colors will appear. That hasn't happened for me yet, but I keep hoping. Currently we have two yellow ones, this really pretty burgundy and white one and a purple one.
__________________________________________________


This blue/purple one is called a Bachelor's Button. The "petals" look like little trumpets to me, and there's also a part that I think looks like a bee's antenna. It flowers really early so you don't get to enjoy it for long, but it's very pretty while it's around.
__________________________________________________


I'm not actually sure what this one is, I think maybe an onion of some kind. I don't remember planting any onions, but there are two different bunches of these so somehow it made it into the garden. Maybe it came in from the compost bin. Anyway, this green and purple together is so pretty and I love the look of all the little buds with stripes on each one.

2 comments:

Julie Butler said...

Hey how are the Hammons bunch. I ran onto your blog today and I was so excited to be able to have a way to keep up with your guys. It looks beautiful in Colorado I am so jealous. It is just really HOT here. Check us out at breckenridgebutlers@blogspot.com.

kristine said...

hey hey hey!! What's going on you beauty gardner!! You are making it work and I love the talents and eye you have for foliage! We can work together again one day I hope!! So when are you coming to Utah?? It would be a blast!! I need to have you come for Thanksgiving!! Travis gets to come then and baptize Mya.. so big things and I would love to have you apart!! I need to get more on on emailing you again.. I have been busy getting settled adn playing with Tammi! So fun.. have a great day!